Monday, July 8, 2019

MY SKIN CARE ROUTINE





Skin care is something I am very passionate about and when I was younger I never realised how important it really is. This is especially true for anyone who suffers with a skin condition or has something that needs a bit of TLC. If you don't need to use skin care then don't (if it ain't broke, don't fix it), just a face wash will most likely suffice! One of my main problems is eczema and dry skin. This is something I never addressed and thought it would sort itself as I didn't understand what I should be doing. My other main problem which I have mentioned before as probably my biggest insecurity is my dark circles under my eyes (I'm going to talk about my experience with mesotherapy as a treatment within this). So, one year I set myself a goal to look after my skin and I have gone from naive and occasionally moisturising to a 7+ step skin routine that is growing as I learn and research more and more about what is best and needed for my skin. I should state that not only is my skin dry but it can also be sensitive and dull.

Everyone wants to look good without make-up but neglects the steps it takes to achieve this. I used to just hope one day I'll wake up and I'll have perfect, dewy, glowing skin with no dark circles or "imperfections". Since realising I don't need to cover up my skin constantly with make up to fit into society's idea of beauty and using the right products for me, my skin has improved and is no longer as dry.

Mesotherapy

Before I get into my daily skincare routine I'm going to talk about my recent Mesotherapy to treat my dark circles. I had this done at the Smart Skin salon in Bournemouth. If you are near the area, I defiantly recommend going in and looking at all the different options available to you or get a skin analysis done which is something I did. This is where lots of different aspects of your skin from structure, sebum, exfoliation and so many more are measured. Marta made me feel very comfortable and went through what will work for me and my skin and what the results from my skin analysis mean.

For Smart Skin's recently started Instagram click here, Facebook click here and website click here.

The universal formula has a double effect - it rapidly reduces the appearance of "dark circles" around the eyes by regulating melanogenesis and normalising the blood supply. Its patented complex of 3 biomimetic peptides makes it highly efficient with no analogues in the aesthetic medicine. Mesotherapy is a technique that uses injections of vitamins, enzymes, hormones, and plant extracts to rejuvenate and tighten skin, as well as remove excess fat.

This consists of around 10 little injections which were injected into my under eye. It was slightly painful but nothing too uncomfortable. It is recommended you get top ups and then your body should start to do this naturally. I have very thin and pale skin so things like my dark circles are much more noticeable. I had the injections a couple of weeks ago and my under eye already feels more full and almost puffy or spongey (in a good way obviously) and my dark circles are less noticeable.

I understand that this will be an ongoing process and will not drastically change over night. So, while I still have dark circles, they are improved and I will most likely need a booster treatment and use under eye creams and serums in between treatments (I will talk about my favourite ones later on).

My Skin Care Routine


I can't stress the importance of not just wiping away your make up with a make-up wipe but also at least cleanse, tone and moisturise. So much dirt, oil and sweat can build up under your kin and cause break-outs or if you have dry skin like me you can end up with dehydrated,  aged and cracked skin. It is also important to not only clean your face but your neck too, rather than me listing off all the reasons why, read this. Also NEVER sleep with your make-up on where you can avoid it. Sleep is a time where our body recovers and refreshes and our skin can't do this if it's clogged ups with not only your make-up but dirt and pollution too.

Step 1

So my first step is using a simple face wash which is perfect for sensitive skin and gently removes excess dirt and make-up. I use this when I'm in the shower as it lathers and then is easy to wash away but you can also easily do this over a sink.

Step 2

I recommend cleansing being one of your base steps and should come first. It's important to find a cleanser that works best for skin type. Creamy ones tend to be better for dry skin and gels for oily skin. When dirt, oil and bacteria stick to dead skin cells in the pores they get clogged up, making them look "closed". This blocks sebum, a natural wax which hydrates the skin, sweat and dead skin from escaping. This causes a lack of sebum on the skin allowing bacteria to penetrate the follicle causing breakouts and acne. Pores can't necessarily be opened but cleanser "opens" pores by removing excess dirt, oil and dead skin blocking the pores. Cleanser can also regulate hydration by maintaining PH levels which allows for sufficient water and product retention.

As I have dry skin I use either Garnier's SkinActive Naturals Rose Water Botanical Milk or the Bodyshop's Vitamin E Cream Cleanser For Dry Skin.

Step 3

The best step to follow cleansing is toning, this is my favourite step. If you've never toned before you'll be shocked at the amount of make-up and dirt that comes off your skin even after using a make-up wipe. Toner further thoroughly cleans the skin, balances PH and prepares the skin to absorb following products. This my favourite step as it makes me feel so clean and so I would recommend trying to regularly do this step.

I like my cleanser and toner to match so I either use Garnier's Natural Rose Water Toner For Sensitive Skin or the Bodyshop's Vitamin E Hydrating Toner For Dry Skin.

Step 4

After I've toned as an extra step I use a peel to remove any excess dead skin. The one I am currently using is the Drops of Light Pure Resurfacing Liquid Peel which brightens skin. This uses Red Algae which is rich in vitamin C, minerals and nutrients. When I had my skin analysis at Smart Skin one thing that was alarming was my exfoliation, which is an area, I will admit, I am slacking in. One piece of advice that the analysis gave to improve this area is to use Glycolic acid. After reading the fancy science name I knew the first place to look was obviously The Ordinary. So after some research I found the AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution and the Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution, however they recommend not to use this on sensitive skin due to the small molecules, which penetrate deeper into the skin. They recommend Lactic Acid 10% + HA 2% which is a medium strength AHA which has smaller molecules than Mandelic Acid so it can absorb deeper, but larger than glycolic molecules making it gentler. Mandelic Acid 10% + HA which is the gentlest of their AHA's as the molecules are largest and is another gentler alternative.

Lots of these acids cause sensitivity to the sun so must be followed with SPF or even avoiding the sun. SPF is actually a really important part of skin care that should be used all year round. Some moisturisers and make-up will contain SPF, however, this should be topped up every few hours. I recommend getting a SPF mist that you can use to spray over your face and make-up to keep your protection from UV rays topped up.

For more information on The Ordinary's acids follow the link, they provide so much helpful and important information on their products and how to use them.

Step 5

Serum. Another of my personal faves. So after my skin is dirt, make-up and dead skin has been defeated I apply a serum. I use the Bodyshop's Drops of Youth Concentrate which is like a gel and is very cool and refreshing to put on as it isn't thick or sticky. This product (in fact the whole of the Drops of Youth range) was recommended to me by the people at the Bodyshop and it is definitely one of my favourites. This is enriched from three different plant stems and so is natural and gentle for skin. It targets the sign of ageing and I know I'm only 20 (almost) but you should start using anti-aging products from the age of about 20 or 21.

I was recently gifted a Vitamin C Serum by Mile Simone which I am so excited to try. Some of the benefits to this are reducing dark circles and fine lines, plumping and hydrating skin, removing acne scars, anti-aging, brightening, tightening and repairing damaged skin cells while promoting the development of new ones. The use of the Vitamin C promotes antioxidant protection and collagen production, while the hyaluronic acid encourages long-lasting hydration. I am going to try and use this everyday, morning and night for best results. However, as I stressed before it is so important to research what you can and can't use with different products as some Vitamin C serums must never be layered with retinol, salicylic or glycolic acids. Therefore, if you do use one of these acids on those days using a serum like the bodyshop one may be better.

    Step 6

    The last of my three main steps is moisturising. This is probably the most important step of anyones skin care routine. It doesn't matter how oily your skin is, you should still be moisturising, but instead of creams you should be looking for lotions and ones with exfoliant ingredients. Obviously, if you have dry skin like me, this step is aa no brainer. I have such a wide variety of moisturisers because it is the step I have to focus on the most. The ones I currently use for everyday, generic use include the Bodyshop's Vitamin E Intense Moisture Cream, The Ordinary's 100% Plant-Derived Hemi Squalene, and 100% Plant-Derived Squalene. For a day cream I use Nivea's Daily Essentials Rich Moisturising Day Cream, and at night No.7's night cream however they do a variety of day and night creams and serums which have been proven to work, so it' easy to find one specific for your skin's needs.

    If you have oily skin then finding a moisturiser right for you is just as important as for those with dry skin. Some moisturisers will dissolve and mix oil and water or balance the sebum on your skin.

    Step 7

    This is an important step to me personally due to my under eye dark circles. BUT, everyone should try to use a moisturiser that is specific for under eye. Many moisturisers are too thick for the skin under our eyes to absorb because the skin is very thin. I use the Bodyshop's Drops of Youth Bouncy Eye Mask which is like a cold gel, encouraging the blood circulation to the top of the skin to reduce dark circles.


    My Every Now and Again Extras

    Face masks are my way of moisturising my skin when it is especially dry. I do a face mask once a week but they can be done up to three times a week. I like to use sleep in masks to hydrate my skin over night, either the Bodyshop's Drops of Youth Bouncy Sleeping Mask, which was voted the best on the Beauty Power List of 2018, or their Vitamin E sleep mask, however I don't think they sell this anymore. For a normal face mask that you apply and rinse away 10 or so minutes later I use the Bodyshop's Mediterranean Almond Milk With Oats Face Mask. This is exfoliates and hydrates skin but is perfect for those who have sensitive skin. Oats are such an amazing tool for dry skin and a natural, home remedy. One of my family's top skin tricks for anyone with eczema is to put oats in a flannel or handkerchief and tie it round the tap while you run a bath. This soothes the skin from itching and irritation and works better than any cream I've been prescribed.

    The Halo Face Pad

    I've been making a conscious effort to do more for the environment and skin care is just one of the ways you can help. I got the halo face pad yesterday for my birthday and it is a replacement for single use cotton wool pads or make up wipes. All you need to use is water and the fibres (which are 100 times finer than human hair) deeply clean your skin. They are non toxic, reusable (you can machine wash them up to 200 times) and recyclable. Another way you can help the environment is use biodegradable cotton buds as many of them end up in the ocean.

    My Favourite Brands That Actually Work

    From this blog I'm sure you can work out which brands are my favourite to use. Other than the Garnier products (they were a gift from a friend) I strive to use only cruelty free and vegan skin care which are natural with no unnecessary extras like oils, parabens and sulphates. Therefore, my favourite brands are The Ordinary, especially if you want effective health care that doesn't break the bank and the Bodyshop. 

    I'm always looking for new products or even information about skin care so any advice let me know. I sometimes get bad rosacea so would love to hear from anyone who has any good products to use.




    Post a Comment

    never miss a post!

    enter your email to always be informed of new posts!